This is the 2nd year in a row I haven’t participated in National Novel Writing Month. And it bums me out. I won NaNo eight times – every year I participated, I ended the month with a first draft that I was proud of. Last year, I decided that I had outgrown NaNo and owed it to myself to finish something, and take my writing more seriously. But I still miss NaNo. What do I miss?
- The challenge of writing 50K words in a single month
- The feeling of camaraderie that came from the psychic connection with writers all over the world
- Write-ins fueled by caffeine and word wars
- The word count bar growing day by day
- The forums (especially NaNoWriMo Ate My Soul)
- Earning my purple bar
- Last, but not least, making writing a priority
Maybe I need to do my own version of NaNo this month. I think I need a write-in . . .